Friday, November 18, 2005

Venezuela: The Bolivarian Revolution

To go to my main politics weblog, click on title of this log or link at right.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com




I've also been following Hugo Chavez and Venezuela this year. I began with skepticism and doubt, but gradually and increasingly began to realize that this was democracy and "power to the people" I have not seen in my lifetime. I mean actions, not words.

I can only hope that Chavez can continue his efforts to build his people and country. At this point, my greatest fear is that too much depends on Chavez alone yet. And he is vulnerable, of course, to attempts to take him out from different angles. And these attempts are ongoing.

What is also notable is that Venezuela's example is catching fire in Latin America. I can only hope that the neocons are so busy with the Middle East and their own internal situation that they will be less effective in their efforts to keep Latin America, and specifically, Venezuela, under their thumb. Venezuela's oil reserves are also a catch 22 situation for the neocons.

Author/analyst Richard K. Moore wrote an article that says pretty much what I've been thinking. Well worth the read.



I continue to be inspired and impressed by events in Venezuela. Here we can see an honest attempt by Chavez to empower the people themselves, in the grassroots, to take responsibility for solving their own problems and managing their own affairs. Similarly, as a player in Latin American affairs, Venezuela is setting up cooperative arrangements, and barter systems, aimed at building collaboration and economic self-sufficiency in Latin America, and directly confronting the forces of neoliberal globalization and the interests of financial elites. The recent defeat of the NTAA initiative, at the Americas conference, demonstrates a new spirit of independence and self-reliance in the region generally, a spirit to which Chavez' initiatives have clearly contributed.

Continue reading here:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home