Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Repeat of the same, only more.



Peace on earth, goodwill toward men. Bush style.

Bush uses lies, fear-mongering to defend war in Iraq, police state measures at home.

In his nationally televised address from the White House Oval Office Sunday night, George W. Bush reprised (repeated)the barefaced lies, distortions and appeals to fear and political backwardness that characterized the last such speech delivered by the US president, announcing the onset of the unprovoked US “shock and awe” onslaught against Iraq 33 months ago.

This time around, however, Bush found himself compelled to argue against those who “conclude that the war is lost and not worth another dime or another day”—a description that applies to many millions of Americans. He was forced to acknowledge that the attempt to quell resistance to the US occupation has been “more difficult than we expected,” and, while touting the turnout in Sunday’s Iraqi parliamentary elections, he admitted that the vote “will not mean the end of violence.”

The speech was sandwiched between Bush’s live radio address Saturday and a White House press conference Monday, both of which he used to defiantly defend his secret and illegal use of the National Security Agency to spy on US citizens, arguing for what amounts to dictatorial powers.

The essential framework of this defense was the same as that utilized to drag the American people into this war in the first place—the lie that the invasion of Iraq was a response to the September 11, 2001 attacks on New York City and Washington and constituted an essential battle in the “global war on terror.”

Read on ....

2 Comments:

Blogger Sophia said...

Thanks Earl for your email message but, for some unknown reason, I cannot find your comment on my blog.
I am very impressed by your blog and will link to it.

Initially, my blog is known only by parents and close friends to share with them my daily reading of the info. However I don't mind sharing it with the entire blogosphere.

I still don't know some technicalities of the blog. How did you find my email ? is it by blogger or by technocrati ? The thing is I don't have an eamil link on my profile page.

The picture on your blog today sadly confirms the saying: 'a picture is sometimes worth a thousand words'

5:04 PM  
Blogger Sophia said...

O.K. sorry your comment was not published because i had the option 'moderate comments' on my blog. Now it is published and I understood how you were able to send me a mail.
I am still making progress though !
Thanks a lot !

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home