Sunday, January 22, 2006

Satire: Annoyed Americans


In my work here before I retired, I dealt with a lot of tourists here in Amsterdam. One of the little games I played, all in good spirit, was when I had an American and a Brit in front of me and we were talking. Of course, I would lead off by asking where each came from. And when one would ask me the same question (I was obviously not Dutch from my English useage and accent), I would casually say, "Oh, from the Colonies."

I had each one by the short and curlies, so to speak. But it was meant in good fun, and so we could laugh. Life has its pleasures.....

Sometimes it's ok - more than ok - to lighten up. Here, then, a bit of satire sure to bring a smile to many. Maybe I should do that more often here....


AMERICANS ANNOYED BY "ALL THIS INTERNATIONAL SHIT" ON INTERNET -

Web's Increasingly Worldly Flavor Threatens Americans' Worldview.

The profusion of international news available on the Internet has made it increasingly difficult for the average American to ignore the rest of the world, a trend researchers say threatens Americans' long, proud history of disregarding anything not about them. "With all the foreign newspapers and multi-cultural sites, the Internet is making it almost impossible for the average American to remain uninformed and apathetic," said Samantha Lessborn of Washington State University, which conducted the survey. "Americans can still do it. But it now takes effort, whereas before it was as easy as turning off Tom Brokaw whenever he said 'In South Korea today...'"

According to survey participant Danny Grisham, a 22-year-old from Cheyenne, Wyoming, it's not just the plethora of international news on the Web that is irritating. "Look, I can get around the news. I just turn off Reuters headlines in MyYahoo," he said. "But even some of the search sites like Yahoo and Alta Vista are available in different languages. Like everybody in the world doesn't speak English. Yeah, right."

Read and enjoy....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home