Monday, December 26, 2005

'They' Destroyed New Orleans



The wounds of Katrina are not healing, despite the passing of some time and lack of media attention. Here is a report, albeit one that waffles a bit, but seeing it is the first published report of this individual, he seems to be trying to bring "balance" to it. It needs no balance, just facts and context. I do, however, object to the negative tint he ascribes to 'conspiracy theories'. Conspiracy theories Conspiracy theories are real, and many are based on enough fact to be - at the least - worthy of consideration, if not serious attention.

When it comes to explaining why the levees broke, many otherwise reasonable New Orleanians are quick to believe in conspiracy theories.

My little cousin, Kenneth, sits across from me smoking a cigarette in the driver's seat of his car. Like everyone else in my family, he lost everything when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. Now he sits in my driveway on a Saturday night in LaPlace trying to understand why."Them people blew them levees," he says, looking at me, puffing on his cigarette. "They wanted to save the white people Uptown, but they ain't know it was gonna be this bad."

I just look at him when he says this. He's sincere, not a trace of doubt in his voice. Some people might call him crazy for believing a theory like that. But truth is, he's not alone, far from it. Last month I went to Arlington and visited some of my in-laws, who evacuated there. When the subject of Katrina and the levees came up, all of them went to talking the exact same way.

Read on ....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home